Use of Special Rooms / Facilities
The following instructions are to be adhered to when using the special rooms/facilities:
- Do not enter or work in the room without the permission / presence of the teacher.
- The desks and chairs have been specially arranged for teaching purposes and students are to ensure that this arrangement is not upset at the end of the lesson.
- No food or drinks should be brought or consumed in the rooms / facilities.
- Always keep the room / facility clean and tidy.
Below are additional instructions specific to the use of special rooms / facilities:
- Students are not allowed to enter these rooms without the presence of a teacher.
- Paintings and craftwork on display are to be well taken care of.
- The portfolios of students’ work should be kept in good condition during browsing.
- At the end of the lesson, students on duty should ensure that the
- whiteboards are erased.
- sinks and work-tops are washed clean.
- chairs are pushed in and floor swept clean.
- All equipment borrowed from the teacher should be returned to their proper places after use.
The Computer Lab is used to promote computer literacy among students and cultivate greater computer interest among members. Student users of the Computer Lab should strictly observe the conditions stipulated below:
- Do not disconnect any item on the computer table, such as sockets, wires, keyboards.
- Inform the teacher of any faulty items you may find.
- Computer games are not allowed in the lab.
- Work quietly within the lab at all times.
- Sit according to the index number printed on the monitor unless told otherwise by your teachers.
- Do not bring in unauthorized storage devices such as thumb drives, memory cards, portable hard disk, MP3 player, etc. unless given permission by your teachers.
- Do not print unnecessary materials for personal usage.
- Place your school bags at the back of the lab and not beside you.
1. Laboratory Safety Rules and Regulations
- Do not take apparatus/chemicals out of the laboratory without the permission of a teacher.
- Always work quietly and thoughtfully. Horse-play, practical jokes and other acts of carelessness are strictly prohibited.
- Always wear safety goggles or spectacles when mixing, heating or handling chemicals.
- Never pipette poisonous substances, hot solutions, or corrosive liquids by mouth. Use a pipette filler.
- Do not take chemicals from unlabelled containers. Report such containers to the teacher.
- Report to the teacher any damaged equipment, bottles or containers.
- Instructions for the performance of an experiment should be thoroughly understood and must be followed exactly. In case of any doubt, do not proceed. Ask the teacher.
- Unauthorized experiments are forbidden. If you wish to conduct an experiment on your own, discuss it with your teacher and obtain his permission.
- The storerooms and preparation rooms are out of bounds to all students.
- Keep your bench tidy and uncluttered as you carry out your experiment.
- Chemicals, once removed from the bottles, must not be put back into the bottles unless instructed to do so by the teacher.
- Never use flammable liquids near a naked flame.
- Never taste chemicals or other materials unless specifically directed by your teacher.
- Report all breakages, accidents and spillage immediately to the teacher.
- Waste and surplus material must be disposed of in accordance with instructions.
- Wash hands thoroughly after all practical work.
2. Laboratory Discipline
- Students are to inspect and clean their bench before leaving the laboratory after each practical. Any student caught for any kind of vandalism will be severely dealt with.
- Students should be vigilant at all times to ensure that they do not injure themselves or damage laboratory equipment. They are to work quietly.
- All breakages should be reported to the teacher and recorded in the Breakage Book which is placed in the drawer of the teachers’ bench in each laboratory. Students are to sign for the breakages and pay to the respective subject teachers for the damages/ breakages incurred.
- The class president must ensure that the air-conditioners, lights and all equipment are switched off and the board is cleaned after lesson and before he leaves the room.
- Only teachers or trained students may operate the AVA equipment.
- Keys to the AVA room may only be collected and returned by the teacher.
- The TWSS Library is envisioned to be a Teck Whyean’s favourite spot in school – a place of inspiration, a window to the universe and a home away from home.
- Library Opening Hours: Monday to Friday : 9.00am to 4.30pm. (Lunch break) : 12.00 noon to 1.00pm
- Books may be borrowed using the student’s Easylink or Identity Card for a period of TWO WEEKS each time. More than one renewal is allowed provided no reservations are made.
- Reference materials may only be used within the Library premises.
- Books should be returned to the Library on time. Habitual offenders may be suspended from using the Library for a fortnight.
- Before leaving the Library all materials must be shown to the Librarians on duty at the counter to discourage theft.
- All Library users must report the loss of or damage to books on loan to them and they may be held responsible for the cost of replacing the item lost or damaged while it is in their possession.
Students are allowed to use the Gym during the opening hours. CCA teachers may also book and use the Gym for their training. The following guidelines must be followed closely when using the Gym:
- Equipment must be returned to the proper places after use.
- Students must be in PE or CCA attire with proper shoes worn at all times in the Gym.
- All users must bear in mind the safety considerations when using the facilities. In the more demanding routines, it is advised that students work in pairs. When in doubt, seek the advice of the teachers.
- Students must have a towel with them while working out. Please wipe off all perspiration after using the equipment.
- The noise level should be kept to a minimum.
- Fans and lights should be switched off when they are not in use.
All teachers reserve the right to ask students to leave the Gym if the guidelines are breached.
Students may be asked to pay for any damage to the room or its facilities if the damage arises as a result of such a breach.
The Basketball Court And Hockey Pitch
Students may use the facilities, provided that the facilities are not used for PE lessons and CCA.
Students are to note that any teacher has the right to ask students to leave the facilities. The following guidelines must be followed strictly. The right to use the facility may be withdrawn if the guidelines are breached.
- The facilities must be used correctly.
- Students must be properly attired when using the facilities. Those who wear home clothes will be asked to leave.
- The noise level must be kept to a minimum.
- All activities are to be conducted with safety in mind.
- Students are to wait according to their index number in a straight line outside the rooms before the bell rings.
- The subject representative is to take the attendance of the class and hand it to the teacher when the teacher arrives.
- Students are required to bring their textbooks, workbooks, files (containing notes), aprons, floppy disk or thumbdrive and stationery (including 2B pencils for Design & Technology lessons only) for every lesson.
- If a student forgets to bring any of the materials for lesson, the student has to borrow from his/her schoolmates before the start of the lesson.
- Students are to sit at their assigned seats or workstations for every lesson.
- Students are to wear their aprons when doing their practical work in the workshop or the HE Rooms.
- Students are to ensure that safety is the top priority when doing practical work in the workshop or the HE Rooms.
- Students are not allowed to enter these rooms without the presence of a teacher or instructor.
- Students are not to use any equipment or musical instrument in the Music Room without permission.
- Students are to be seated according to seating arrangement set by the teachers.
- Do not remove furniture from the room.
- Keys will be collected and returned by the teacher.